Sunday, February 27, 2011

Gallery Visit

The 3 artworks made an impact or impression on me were"
1. This piece caught my attention in the scale of the work alone, it is huge.  The color scheme, the vivid red and black strokes over a sky blue are hard to pass by without taking a minute to admire.  The downward direction of the line creates movement around the piece, and forces the eye to move across the entire work.  I also really appreciated how Furnas chose such a large scale and kept the context simple.  Sometimes less is truly more.

Artist: Barnaby Furnas
Title: Untitled Flood
Media: Urethane on linen
Scale: large, full wall piece
Year: 2007


2. The choice of materials that were used was interesting, stainless steel coil and clear plastic.  It created the illusion that the steal is a see through form, and all the edges appear soft and fluent.  The piece seems to be floating in mid air.  The shape of the object was intriguing to me and the symmetry and depth created a good balance.  The density and spacing of the coil over the plastic created many optical illusions, and in conjunction with the shape and scale created movement around the piece.














Artist: Naum Gabo
Title: Linear No. 2, Variation
Media: stainless steel coil on plastic
Scale: medium, about 3 1/2" x 2"
Year: 1962-65


3. In my opinion, this sculpture seemed to be ironically titled, "Woman's Head," although it seemed to exude an extremely masculine energy.  The bronze medium is very heavy and dark in emotion, and Picasso's deep sculpts appear anything but soft and feminine.  It caught my attention because when you are viewing the sculpture head on, the face is deformed, yet intention and you cannot immediately confirm male or female.  But, when you look at the profile you are about to see some rounded parts in the upper left of the sculpture which indicates the woman's hair pulled up in a bun.  I like the fact that it was intended to be a woman, yet it left a very masculine and hard impression on me.
Artist: Pablo Picasso
Title: Woman's Head
Media: Bronze
Scale: small, about 2sq.ft.
Year: 1909

The artworks I felt a connection with were:
1.  This is a simple piece that spoke a million words to me.  The rhythm of the subject, the white mold of a hand, is consistent, yet every hand is different in its own respect, which I felt created a good balance of unity and variety.  Some of the hands appear to be young, old, female, male.  I felt a connection to this piece because of the way that each hand is touching and a in a circular arrangement, it gives me a feeling of unity, of coming together, and possible a helping hand of sorts. It left me with a very positive feel.

Artist: John Ahearn
Title: Pinwheel
Media: plaster
Scale: medium/large, about 4" round
Year: 1998

2. From one angle the long vertical piece of driftwood resemebles a simple human-like figure that is almost in sort of a fallen back and is sitting in a downward slouched posture.  It looks as if the other flat painted piece of wood is lodged in a part of what could symbolize the lower arm, and it seems like it is wounding the figure.  It provoked an emotion of guilt, sorrow, and made me feel empathy for the subject which created a connection to the work.
3






3. The way the woman is reassuringly embracing the young boy who is comfortably hanging onto the woman, and the strewn way he holds onto her while sitting in her lap, instantly reminded me of the motherly instinct to nurture her son.  Although there is nothing that says "this is a mother and son," the artist was able to create the feeling.






Artist: Oretta Pecori
Title: Maternity
Media: painted plaster
Scale: medium, about 2"x1"
Year: 1950

The artworks that I would like to know more about were:
1. The engraved symbols, objects, and animals remind me of Aztec and Mayan carvings and made me wonder about the origins and time of creation.  The gold latches add rustic character and hold the tops to the piece which clearly was made to put things in.  It makes me question if there was a special purpose for this work, or if there was some kind of spiritual ritual behind it.
Artist: Paul Gauguin
Title: Carved "Coco de Mar"
Media: carved (and painted) double coconut
Scale: small, about 1sq.ft.
Year: 1901-03

 2. This painting made me question how Warhol created each soup can in such a way that everything appears so balanced.  The rhythm creates great unity.  I also want to know if it was used for the marketing of Campbell's soup.

Artist: Andy Warhol
Title: 100 Campbell"s Soup Cans
Media: oil on canvas
Scale: large wall piece, 45 x 63cm
Year: 1962

 3. This piece made me wonder what Longo's inspiration was.  I also wanted to know how long did it take to create, and how was it moved from location to location.


Artist: Robert Longo
Title: Hum (Making Ourselves)
Media: plastic, Formica, wood, audio, jacks, chrome-plated steel aluminum, plastic bonding, and lacquer
Scale: large, wall piece
Year: 1988

1 comment:

  1. I think you did a great job with this project. I really like how you took the most pictures of sculptures. I was the opposite and took more pictures of paintings. I am glad I was able to see your blog so I could look deeper into some of the sculptures and get a better understanding.

    ReplyDelete