Friday, April 15, 2011

Video Review

Matisse and Picasso
I chose to watch Matisse and Picasso  because I have always been drawn to Picassos style.  After viewing this video is that these two artists were friends but also rivals.  Picasso had created the birth of collage. Matisse was emotionally disturbed and Picasso was intrigued by the female mystery. The video showed that Picasso painted from memory and in contrast Matisse painted models.
The video correlates well with the text and goes deeper into the relationship between these two artists and the relationship between their work.
I enjoyed this video because I found the interviews with people that knew and had lived with the artists interesting because it gave us true insight into their lives.

Expressionism
I chose to watch the Expressionism video because when I was younger and first learned about Expressionism in art class I was intreagued.  I learned that one of the most important factors in this style is symbolism through color, not necessarily through perfection.  Monets work aimed to show a sensation/impression of a scene rather than showing every detail.  Monet exhibited this through the bright palettes and "smudgy" techniques.  This film helped reinforce what I learned about expressionism from the text.

The Impact of CubismI chose to watch The Impact of Cubism randomly. This video discusses Cubism and how it influenced Europe. It discusses how it offered nonclassical ways to represent form and space. This video gave me a better understanding of what Cubism is and how it changed art within Europe. This video showed me a new type of art that I have not yet experienced. I enjoyed this video and felt it went father into Cubism than the text and found it informational and helpful.

A Sunday on La Grande JatteI also chose A Sunday on La Grand Jatte randomly and because I had no idea what it was about. After viewing I learned how Seurat developed the technique of Pointillism. I also learned that there are many interpretations of the subjects in the painting and found them to be entertaining.  I also learned this painting was the subject of many "cartoon's" and comics.   Seurat's exploration of the way colors work next to each other, not mixed was very interesting. The video supports the text but I think I got a better feel for the topic and enjoyed the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment